As a leading company in the healthcare industry, Express Scripts seeks to participate constructively and responsibly in the political process to ensure those who construct and enact legislation and policy clearly understand the issues affecting our patients and the healthcare industry in general.
Express Scripts often makes direct contributions to support state candidates in those states where such corporate contributions are allowed by law. In addition, the corporate contributions are regularly reported to the Corporate Governance Committee of the Express Scripts Board of Directors. Additionally, Express Scripts maintains a non-partisan Express Scripts Inc. Political Action Committee ("ESI PAC") to allow eligible Express Scripts associates to combine their personal funds to participate in both the federal and state political process. All corporate and PAC contributions comply with all local, state and federal laws and all proper public disclosure requirements, promote the interests of the Company and are made without regard to private political preferences. All corporate contributions are reviewed under the direction of the Vice President of Government Relations to ensure compliance with the Company’s Policy on Political Contributions and the Policy on Lobbying Activities, as applicable. Contributions are disbursed according to the following criteria:
- Does the candidate support public policy that promotes private competition, choice and free markets in the delivery and financing of health care?
- Does the candidate support the important tools that pharmacy benefit managers employ to make prescription drugs safer and more affordable, such as the use of home delivery, generics and specialty pharmacy?
- Has the candidate voted for or announced positions on issues important to Express Scripts and our plan sponsors and patients?
- Has the candidate demonstrated leadership on key committees of importance to our business?
- Does the candidate represent a state or district where Express Scripts has a large concentration of associates and/or customers?
The Corporate Governance Committee of the Board of Directors reviews the Company’s Policy on Political Contributions and the Policy on Lobbying Activities at least annually.
Public Reports Regarding Contributions by Political Action Committees
Political Contribution Details
Detail regarding Express Scripts' corporate political contributions is updated semi-annually. The contribution listing includes contributions made during the covered period to political candidates, political parties, political committees, ballot measures and other political entities organized and operating under 26 USC Section 527 of the Internal Revenue Code. Express Scripts does not make independent expenditures in direct support of or opposition to political candidates, political parties, political committees, or ballot measures. Reports for the ESI PAC are filed according to the requirements of the U.S. House of Representatives, the U.S. Senate and the Federal Elections Commission and can be found at www.fec.gov.